The power of body language
Ready for your job interview? Don't let your body language let you down.
Interviews can be intimidating, and are sometimes daunting, like anything else, it is a skill that can be practiced and perfected.
Body language adds a whole new dimension to the way you present yourself, so it’s important to brush up on the basics before you step foot into that interview room.
Here are a few do’s and don’ts on how to make a good first impression:
- Walk tall with a straight back
- When greeting the person who is interviewing you it is important to smile, greet them by their name and look the person in the eye whilst giving a firm handshake
- It is important to maintain a good level of eye contact throughout the interview, otherwise it may come across that you are shy or intimidated. If you don’t feel confident doing this, a trick is to lower your eyes towards their nose
- When being interviewed, sit with a straight back and don’t slouch in your chair
- Be aware of what you are doing with your hands – Make sure that you are not fidgeting with your hair / nails / have your arms crossed.
- Some people use their hands when explaining things and this is ok but try not to be too animated
- Avoid chewing gum
- Research the company and the employer before going into the interview
- After the interview, it is good to follow up with an email thanking them for their time. This will show them that you are really interested in the job and it is also a polite gesture, which the interviewer may appreciate
In case you missed Vol. 1 - STAR - Technique to answering behavioural questions
In case you missed Vol. 2 - What does the colour of your interview clothes say about you?
Share this story
Yolande is the Candidate Manager for our Temporary & Contract Solutions team. Prior to joining one eighty, Yolande was a Recruiter in South Africa, where she developed her relationship building and match-making skills. She truly understands her candidate’s and client’s needs in order to ensure the perfect match is made – even for short-term assignments. Her attention to detail and ability to build strong relationships, coupled with her strong desire to help people, enables her to assist candidates in finding their perfect career fit. Outside of work Yolande really enjoys hiking, reading and spending time with her family!